2023-09-30 Hong Kong Heritage Citywalk
This walk starts from Exit B, Centrol MTR Station. It will take about 2.5 to 3 hours. The walk passes through a number of historic sites showing a rich history of Hong Kong.
Pottinger Street originally ran from Queen’s Road Central to Hollywood Road. Because of its steepness, it was paved, unevenly, with stone slabs to make it easier to ascend and descend and to allow rainwater to flow down either side. It was named Pottinger Street in 1858 in memory of Hong Kong's first governor, but local Chinese still refer to it today as 'Stone Slab Street'.
10 Hollywood Rd, Central
This is a complex comprises a number of historic buildings dating back to the mid-19th century. The main purpose of the complex was to meet the law enforcement of the time, including the Central Police Station, the Central Magistracy and the Victoria Prison. The first building, the Magistrate's House, was completed in 1841. In 1995 the main buildings on the site become Declared Monuments. The Victoria Prison was the last part to be decommissioned in 2006. After this, the complex went through a series of conservation works and was reopen to the public in phrases since 2018.
大馆是一群从19世纪中期开始修建的历史建筑。它们是为当时的执法需要而兴建的， 包括警察总部大楼，中央裁判司署和维多利亚监狱。1841年，中央裁判司署建成， 它是第一座完成的建筑。1995年，这里的主要建筑物被列为法定古迹。2006年维多利亚监狱成为这里的最后一座完成历史使命的建筑。在此之后， 经过一系列的保育工程，从2018年开始，大馆分阶段向公众开放。
13 Staunton Street
Dr Sun Yat-sen founded the Xing Zhong Hui (Revive China Society) in Hong Kong in 1895, establishing its headquarters in Staunton Street as a base where it could plan its revolutionary activities. This historic site is now marked by the Dr Sun Yat-sen Historical Trail. (A memorial artwork installed at 11 Staunton Street)
Kom Tong Hall, 7 Castle Road
Built in 1914, Kom Tong Hall was the residence of Ho Kom Tong, the younger brother of wealthy businessman Sir Robert Ho Tung. The building was converted into the Dr Sun Yat-sen Museum in 2006. It was declared a monument in 2010.
35 Aberdeen Street
This site was the Police Married Quarters. Its history goes back to more than a hunderd years ago. The site became the campus of Central School in 1889. It is the first government school providing western secondary education to the public in Hong Kong. The School building was damaged during the World War II. In 1951, the current building was built to provide living quarters for married police office. It was used for this purpose until 2000.
2 Bridges Street
The Preaching House of the American Congregational Church (now the China Congregational Church) was founded by American missionary C.R. Hager in 1883. Dr Sun Yat-sen was baptised there in June of the same year and also resided on the third floor of the house from 1884 to 1886 when he was studying at Government Central School. The preaching house was later relocated and the building was demolished. The site was once home to the Bridges Street Market, which was built in 1953. The building was converted into a Hong Kong News-Expo in 2018.
Tai Ping Shan Street
Commemorative Plaque for the Outbreak of the Bubonic Plague in 1894
With its dense population and deplorable sanitary conditions, Tai Ping Shan was the worst hit area when bubonic plague raged through Hong Kong in 1894. Launching a campaign to sanitise domestic households, the government bought and then demolished the buildings there, later redeveloping the area into Blake Garden.
Before Hong Kong grew into a city, this site was located on a shorefront lane (now Hollywood Road) and was originally named Tai Hang Hau (‘Big Puddle’) after the water that collected here from a stream that flowed down from the Peak into Victoria Harbour. This is where British soldiers landed in 1841, therefore named Possession Point. The ‘big puddle’ was filled in and Possession Street was built over it. The name in Chinese is 'Shui Hang Hau Street', a reference to the mouth of the stream that once discharged its waters here.
水坑口原稱「大坑口」。開埠前，坑口位於今大馬路荷李活道間，坑水流入維多利亞港內。1841年英軍於該處登陸，命名為「佔領角」。其後大水坑被填平，新闢的馬路英文名為 Possession Street，初譯為「波些臣街」，後改稱「水坑口街」。
323 Des Voeux Road Central
Built of red bricks and granite in 1906, the North Block was an extension of Western Market and stood on the former site of the Harbour Office. The market ceased operations when the Sheung Wan Complex came into service in 1989. It was declared a monument in 1990 and redeveloped in 1991.